Friday, November 11, 2011

A 9 tiered fondant covered cake


Earlier this year I received a phone call from my good friend Susan Spungen. You may know her as the former food editor at Martha Stewart Magazine of many years and the chef behind the glorious food in Julia and Julia. 

Back in the early days of my career I shared a kitchen with a catering company and Susan was the kitchen manager then. We became good pals sweating in that kitchen together, and remained so after she left and eventually went on to Martha.

Susan did the styling for this ad campaign for The Gold Council that is being featured in all the bridal magazines. I was away on vacation and Lauren was left to manage this huge cake on her own with the help of her amazing fiance Ryan. Susan wanted a dramatic look so she chose our Sugar Swag design.

Each tier was 8" tall- twice what me normally make. Wielding that much sugar is staggering. Our Lauren is a beautiful petite woman and this cake, once put together, was bigger than she! The ad says a  Half TON of fondant, and they were not kidding!!


Covering the cake with all that sugar is one thing- but the sugar draping in addition was tremendous! A rough guess- I would say it weighed a good 80 pounds!!

All in all a beautiful job well done.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...